Apart from airplanes, in other previous articles, I have mentioned other means to Con Dao from Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) by bus and boat. You can review the information here:
- Travel to Con Dao from HCMC by Con Dao ferry (HCMC - Vung Tau: 2 hours by bus and Vung Tau - Con Dao: 13 hours by ferry): http://backpackingvietnamtravelguide.com/travel-ho-chi-minh-city-con-dao-island-con-dao-ferry/.
- Travel to Con Dao from HCMC by Superdong speedboat (HCMC - Soc Trang: 6 hours by bus and Soc Trang - Con Dao: 2 hours 30 minutes by speedboat): http://backpackingvietnamtravelguide.com/how-to-travel-from-ho-chi-minh-city-to-con-dao-island-by-superdong-speedboat/.
Beginning mid-February 2019, Con Dao Express Boat was put into operation. This will reduce traveling time to only about 3 hours 30 minutes by express boat departing from Vung Tau.
In this article, I would like to share some information on how to get from HCMC to Con Dao Island by bus and Con Dao Express Boat.
Since this express boat departs only from Vung Tau City, going from HCMC to Con Dao will be two parts as following:
1. HCMC – Vung Tau (2-3 hours)
You can travel by motorbike, fast ferry or bus. Everyone can read about how to get from HCMC to Vung Tau at http://backpackingvietnamtravelguide.com/get-ho-chi-minh-city-vung-tau-city/
Motorcycles: the most pro-active means. On the way from HCMC to Vung Tau, visitors can stop by and visit the Long Son ancient house, coastal fishing village, and Suoi Nghe sheep field.
Buses are quite convenient and a top choice by many people. My recommendation is Phuong Trang Bus (Futabus) because it has a shuttle bus to transfer to the boat station once there (1A, Tran Phu Street, Ward 1, Vung Tau City). Tickets can be bought easily online at https://futabus.vn/ or directly at their office (No. 272, De Tham Street, Pham Ngu Lao Street, District 1, HCMC). Whether buying online or buying directly, remember to come to the address above to get on the bus. Ticket price is about 4 to 5 USD.
2. Vung Tau – Con Đao (3 hours 30 minutes)
Currently, there is only 1 company operating the express boat service from Vung Tau to Con Dao. However, the company website doesn't support English and online booking at this time.
To buy the tickets, here are your options:
- Booking tickets via the website: https://taucaotoc.net/tour/tau-cao-toc-hang-sang-vung-tau-con-dao.aspx. Fill out all required information. After booking, pay via bank transfer or directly to the office as requested.
- Buy tickets at the office: the Office is not the one located in the center of District 1, about 14-15km from the center of HCMC. The actual office in HCMC is 1240, Quang Trung St., Ward 8, Go Vap District, HCMC.
- Buy tickets from travel agents in the center of District 1, HCMC: This might be the easiest and fastest way for foreign visitors. You can go to any travel agent to buy tickets, although the fare will be slightly different due to added agent fees. Make sure you know the real price and bargain if it seems a bit high or unreasonable.
Information about the port of arrival and departure is as follows:
- In Vung Tau: Ho May Tourism Area Pier (01A Tran Phu St., Ward 1, Vung Tau City)
- In Con Dao: Ben Dam Port, Con Dao
- Vung Tau - Con Dao: 8:00 AM
- Con Dao - Vung Tau: 13:30 PM
Price from Monday to Thursday:
- Adult: 660.000 VND
- Elderly people (above 62 years old): 550.000 VND
- Children (6-11 years old): 550.000 VND
Price Friday to Sunday, holidays:
- Adult: 880.000 VND
- Elderly people (above 62 years old): 700.000 VND
- Children (6-11 years old): 700.000 VND
Extra free tips:
- The number of passengers is increasing while the number of ships remains the same, tickets do get sold out. If possible, you should book your tickets 1-2 weeks in advance.
- You should check the boat schedule regularly and your traveling plans. If the schedule changes or you want to cancel the ticket, it is refundable.
- Boats won’t depart in bad weather, so depending on the season, you should book a hotel in Con Dao with free cancellation or later payment policy.
If you have any questions about how to get from HCMC to Con Dao Island, feel free to shoot it my way and I will show you your way.
I hope this information will be useful to you and that you will have a wonderful experience while in Vietnam.