Con Dao has long been known as a paradise island when it owns many beautiful beaches filled with clear blue water. Not only that, Con Dao is also given the favor of wild landscape, rustic but no less seductive.
There are two means to get to Con Dao:
- Airlines: Currently only Vietnam Airlines in conjunction with Vasco exploit this flight. You can fly directly from Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) or Can Tho City to Con Dao island. Travel time is only about 1 hour. Average ticket price is about $75 to $85 USD depending on time. To buy the ticket online, visit the airline's official website: http://www.vietnamairlines.com/.
- Ferry: save more money than the plane, about 14 USD to 24 USD. Travelers can take Con Dao ferry (13 hours, depart from Vung Tau City) or Superdong speedboat (2 hours 30 minutes, depart from Soc Trang).
Each means has its advantages and disadvantages and brings its own experiences. Depending on the financial conditions and preferences you can choose for yourself the appropriate way to get there.
In this article, I would like to share the way from Ho Chi Minh City to Con Dao Island by Con Dao ferry.
This route is suitable for those who has:
- Excess time.
- No motion sickness
- Want to drive from HCMC to Vung Tau and Con Dao (can send motorbike on board). The road from Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau has many interesting attractions.
Because the Con Dao ferry depart from Vung Tau City, so from HCMC to Con Dao you will go 2 following stages:
1. HCMC – Vung Tau (2-3 hours)
You can travel by motorbike, fast ferry or bus. Everyone can read about how to get from Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau: http://backpackingvietnamtravelguide.com/get-ho-chi-minh-city-vung-tau-city/
By any means, you must also be present at Cat Lo port (1007/36, 30/4 St., Ward 11, Vung Tau City) before 12:00 noon (5 hours before departure) to get ticket. Visitors only need to come and leave ID card / Passport at the ticket counter, go to play freely until 16h00 then return to get the ticket.
- Motorcycles: the most active means. On the way from HCMC to Vung Tau, visitors can visit Long Son ancient house and coastal fishing village. You should go early to the Cat Lo port, leave ID card/Passport and then travel around Vung Tau City, or visit Suoi Nghe sheep field about 28km from the port. If you want to send a motorcycle on the ferry, remember to buy tickets for the motorbike (2-3 USD). When back to port, bring your motorbike on board (the cost of loading up less than 2 USD), you should empty your motorcycle gas tank to avoid the spill. If you don't want to bring your motorbike on board, overnight parking is also available at the port.
- Fast ferry: from HCMC to Vung Tau City, the ferry will drop guests at the Ho May Tourism Area Pier (01A Tran Phu St., Ward 1, Vung Tau City). From here, you take a taxi to the Cat Lo port about 15 km.
- Bus: You tell the driver to stop at the nearest place of Cat Lo port, then take a taxi to the port.
2. Vung Tau – Con Đao Island (12-13 hours)
Booking ferry tickets is quite difficult, especially for foreign tourists. The number of passengers is increasing while the limited number of ships, so there is a shortage of tickets. In addition, the ferry's usually canceled due to the weather, so you should reserve more time for the trip, the port staff will assist with changing ferry tickets for you.
The ferry schedule is only scheduled for 1 month, visitors should book tickets before departure 15 days.
How to buy ferry tickets specifically as follows:
- Booking online: visit http://vetaukhachcondao.com/. Nowadays, this website doesn't support English, so it is best to ask local people for help. After booking, send money to the bank account of port with your ticket code information. Ticket price's about $ 18 for sitting, the bed is about $ 24. Departure time: 17:00 PM.
- If you want to send a motorbike to the ferry, call the ticket office, because the number of vehicles is limited.
Some other notes:
- On departure day, you must be at the port before departure for 5 hours to get tickets.
- You should regularly update the ferry situation. If the schedule changes or you want to cancel the ticket, the ferry company will refund it.
- On the ferry only sell instant noodles and eggs, so you should prepare food.
- About 6:00 AM the next morning, you are at Ben Dam port, 12km from Con Dao town. From here, you can take a taxi to the center about 8-10 USD.
As I mentioned above, buying ferry tickets is not easy, especially for foreigners. So I am willing to support if you need to buy tickets online.
If you have any questions about how to get from HCMC to Con Dao Island, you can contact me directly. I really hope this information will be useful to everyone. I wish you a lot of wonderful experiences when visiting my country.