Mui Ne is about 22km from Phan Thiet City and about 200km from Ho Chi Minh City. This is one of the top destinations for tourists in Vietnam.
The name Mui Ne was given by fishermen who took refuge from the storm and took shelter here. The beauty of Mui Ne comes from its beautiful beaches, golden sand, and mild sunshine. The traditional fishing villages is an attraction that still draws many people to Mui Ne today.
In the article below, I would like to share the directions to Mui Ne from Ho Chi Minh City.
There are 4 main ways to get to Mui Ne: By motorcycle, bus, or train. Depending on your preference and health condition, you can choose the best way for you to get there. Another option is you can rent a car if you want to go with your own group.
1. Motorcycle (4 hours – 4 hours 30 minutes)
From Ho Chi Minh City to Mui Ne will take about 4 hours by motorbike.
There are many different routes to get from Ho Chi Minh City to Mui Ne, but most people usually choose National Highway 1A or National Highway 51.
- National Highway 1A: Easy to follow along but the road is crowded and dusty. This route is also not very scenic.
- National Highway 51: Coastal, scenic route. From Ho Chi Minh City, you go through Cat Lai ferry to Long Thanh and then to Ba Ria town. This road is about 25-30km shorter than National Highway 1A. At the Vung Tau crossroads, you turn onto Highway 51, from where beautiful streets begin to appear before your eyes.
Going to Mui Ne on a motorbike will give visitors a more enjoyable experience. You will be free to explore at your own pace, take pictures along the road, and be presented with colorful wildflowers along the way. Furthermore, you also have the opportunity to see the vast rice fields and beautiful red dragon fruit gardens. Also, you can drive on paved roads for over 5km.
Of all the different ways to get to Mui Ne, the bus is usually the first choice of travelers with its convenience and price.
There are many buses running from Ho Chi Minh City to Mui Ne. The earliest bus is at 6:30 AM and the latest runs at 22:30 PM every day. There is a bus available every 1 to 2 hours. No reservation is required making this very convenient for travelers. Pick up a ticket at the bus station and you’re ready to go.
Here are some prestigious bus companies from the center of District 1, Ho Chi Minh City:
- Hanh Cafe (sleeping bus): 229 Pham Ngu Lao St., Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, HCMC. Schedule: 6:30 AM, 8:00 AM, 11:00 AM, 13:30 PM, 15:00 PM, 17:30 PM, 19:30 PM, 22:30 PM. Ticket price is about $5.
- Tam Hanh (sleeping bus): 199 Pham Ngu Lao St., Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, HCMC. Schedule: from 7:30 AM to 22:00 PM. Ticket price is about $5-$6.
- TheSinhTourist (sleeping bus): 246 De Tham St., Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, HCMC. Schedule: 7:00 AM, 14:00 PM, 20:00 PM. Ticket price is about $4-$5.
- Huynh Gia (sleeping bus): 275H, Pham Ngu Lao St., Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, HCMC. Schedule: 8:30 AM, 11:30 AM, 21:00 PM, 22:00 PM, 22:30 PM. Ticket price is about $5.
Note: The above price is only for weekdays. Weekends and holidays may be slightly higher.
You can also easily go straight to Mui Ne from Tan Son Nhat International Airport. You can get a ticket with Thinh Phat Limousine Company. They can take you to Mui Ne for about $11. Schedule: 8:00 AM, 10:00 PM, 14:00 PM, 15:30 PM, 17:00 PM. Travel time is about 5 hours 30 minutes. You can ask the staff at the airport for directions.
Besides motorbikes and passenger cars, the train is also one of the means chosen by many visitors because it is safe and offers a scenic route.
However, one negative aspect of taking the train is that Phan Thiet train station is quite far from the city center. Also, the train ticket is slightly more expensive than a bus ticket.
With the train, you will go 2 stages as follows: Ho Chi Minh City - Phan Thiet City (train). Then, Phan Thiet - Mui Ne (22km) by other means because the trains only run to Phan Thiet City.
3.1. Ho Chi Minh City – Phan Thiet (3 hours 50 minutes)
From HCMC to Phan Thiet, it takes about 3 hours 50 minutes by train. Ticket price is from $8 to $11 depending on the type of chair or bed you choose. Guests can choose 1 of the following train:
- SPT2 departs at 6:20 AM
- SPT4 departs at 7:15 AM
Information about the station of arrival and departure is as follows:
- In Ho Chi Minh City: Sai Gon Railway Station, 01 Nguyen Thong St., Ward 10, District 3, HCMC.
- In Phan Thiet: Phan Thiet Station, Phong Nam, Phan Thiet City, Binh Thuan.
Today, visitors can buy tickets online at https://dsvn.vn/#/, buy it directly at Saigon Railway Station (No. 1 Nguyen Thong St., Ward 10, District 3), or with a travel agent in the center of District 1.
3.2. Phan Thiet – Mui Ne (30 - 45 minutes)
From Phan Thiet Station, you can choose one of the following 3 means to get to Mui Ne:
- Motorbike: To rent a motorbike in Phan Thiet City, you can contact this phone number 0937 524 385. They will deliver the motorcycle to the station for you for around $7 to $9 a day.
- Taxi: In front of the station, there are many taxi companies including Mai Linh and Sun Taxi Company. The cost of going to Mui Ne is about $15 per trip.
- Bus: You can find bus number 9 at Phan Thiet railway station. Ticket price is less than $ 2.
4. Private cars
If you are traveling with a family or a group of friends, renting a private car is a reasonable choice. One way car rental from Ho Chi Minh City to Mui Ne is about $80 for a 4-seat car, $90 for a 7-seat car, and $105 for a 16-seat car. Guests can rent a car at the travel agency in the center of District 1. Or you can contact me and I will assist you with the booking.
I hope this information will be useful to you and that you will have a wonderful experience when coming to this coastal city.