From Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) to Con Dao, tourists can travel by plane, Con Dao ferry (travel time is 13 hours, departs from Vung Tau) or by Superdong speedboat (travel time is 2 hours 30 minutes, departs from Soc Trang).
In the previous article, I have shared the way to Con Dao Island by the ferry (http://backpackingvietnamtravelguide.com/travel-ho-chi-minh-city-con-dao-island-con-dao-ferry/). In this article, I would like to share the way from Ho Chi Minh City to Con Dao by Superdong speedboat.
This route has the following advantages:
- The travel time is short. It’s only 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Save the most time by going from HCMC to Soc Trang overnight, then take the Superdong speedboat at 8:00 AM.
- This is suitable for those with time constraints and you also save money by staying one night on the bus instead of a hotel.
Because the speedboat departs from Soc Trang, you will need to get to Con Dao Island from Ho Chi Minh City first via the following instructions.
1. HCMC – Soc Trang (4-5 hours)
Motorbike and bus are the two main means to get from Ho Chi Minh City to Soc Trang.
- Sleeping bus: Travel time is about 5 hours. If you go on a regular day, it’s as simple as going straight to the Western bus station to purchase a ticket and hop on. There is no reservation required. There are many buses that run to Soc Trang until midnight. For holidays or weekends, it is better to buy tickets in advance. You should take the bus at 22:00 PM or 23:00 PM so that you can be in Soc Trang in the early morning. Here are two convenient bus companies for the trip to Soc Trang:
– Phuong Trang (Futa): the Western bus station 395 -397 Kinh Duong Vuong St., An Lac Ward, Binh Tan Dist., HCMC. Ticket price is about $ 6. However, the bus will stop at Soc Trang bus station (Soc Trang City), 36 km from Tran De port. From Soc Trang City, you can take the taxi (about $ 16 to $ 20) or shuttle bus of Superdong company (around $ 2) to the port. With the Superdong buses, when buying speedboat tickets you should reserve tickets because of the limited number. They depart at 6:20 AM at Superdong office 193 Le Hong Phong St, Soc Trang City (5 minutes walk from Soc Trang bus station).
– My Duyen: the Western bus station 395 -397 Kinh Duong Vuong St., An Lac Ward, Binh Tan Dist., HCMC. This bus will save more time because it runs straight to the Tran De port. And especially the bus can pick you up at your hotel in District 1. You can call this phone number: 090 386 11 92 to reserve. Ticket price is about $ 6 to $ 8.
- Motorbike: Travel time is about 6 hours for more than 220km. If you travel by motorbike, you will go through many western provinces and have the opportunity to view more rivers and countrysides. You can go in the direction of Ho Chi Minh City -> Long An -> Tien Giang -> Vinh Long -> Can Tho -> Hau Giang -> Soc Trang or Ho Chi Minh City -> Long An -> Tien Giang -> Ben Tre -> Tra Vinh -> Soc Trang (this route you must take the ferry). If you want to bring a motorbike onto the Superdong speedboat, be sure to tell the office staff early, as the number of vehicles is limited. The cost of a regular motorbike is about $ 7, the scooter is about $ 8 (price does not include loading and unloading vehicles on board).
2. Soc Trang – Con Dao (2 hours 30 minutes)
Currently, there is only one company operating the ferry from Soc Trang to Con Dao, which is the Superdong. This is also the company that operates the route to Phu Quoc, which is another popular destination for tourists.
To buy speedboat tickets, here are your options:
- Buy tickets online: you can buy tickets online at http://superdong.com.vn/. I will have another article separately to share my experience with booking Superdong tickets online.
- Contact by phone: (028) 38 666 333, this is the telephone number of the ticket office in Ho Chi Minh City. Guests can contact the staff for reservations. The staff speaks basic English and can help answer questions you might have. Then, you transfer money via the bank or pay directly to the office as required.
- Email: you can contact the ticket office via email at email@example.com. Then, you transfer money via the bank or pay directly to the office as required.
- Buy tickets at the office: the office isn’t located in the center of District 1, about 4-5km from the center of Ho Chi Minh City. Here is the Superdong office address in HCMC, 12 Nguyen Ngoc Loc St., Ward 14, District 10, HCMC.
- Buy tickets from travel agents in the center of District 1, HCMC: this is the easiest and fastest way for foreign visitors. You can go to any travel agent to buy ferry tickets, the fare will be slightly different than the announced price of the carrier. Therefore, you should bargain if the price is too high.
Information about Superdong office:
- In HCMC: 12 Nguyen Ngoc Loc, Ward 14, District 10, HCMC. Phone: (028) 38 666 333.
- In Soc Trang City: 193 Le Hong Phong, Ward 3, Soc Trang City. Phone: (0299) 3616 111. Hotline for the bus: 0916 294 399.
- In Tran De, Soc Trang: Coast Guard Station 2, 19/5 St., Cang Hamlet, Tran De Town, Tran De Dist., Soc Trang. Phone: (0299) 3843 888, (0299) 3843 999.
- In Con Đao: Le Duan St., Con Son Town, Con Dao, Ba Ria-Vung Tau. Phone: (0254) 3630 138, (0254) 3630 139. Hotline for the bus: (08) 866 3739.
- Soc Trang – Con Dao: 8:00 AM 13:15 PM
- Con Dao – Soc Trang: 8:00 AM 13:00 PM
- Adults: 310.000 VND
- Children (from 6 to 11 years old): 220.000 VND
- Elderly people (above 60 years old, Vietnamese): 260.000 VND
If you have any questions about how to travel from Ho Chi Minh City to Con Dao Island, you can contact me directly. I really hope this information will be useful to everyone. I wish you a lot of wonderful experiences when visiting my country.