As a neighboring country of Vietnam, Cambodia has long been famous as the ideal travel destination for the mystical Angkor civilization. In addition, traveling to Cambodia from Vietnam is quite convenient due to the many daily bus tours that go there. The Cambodian people are friendly and hospitable which will leave you with beautiful memories.
In the article below, I would like to share the way to Cambodia from Ho Chi Minh City by bus for those who are not familiar with traveling between the two countries.
1. Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) – Phnom Penh (PP)
Flights from HCMC to Phnom Penh takes less than an hour, but the cost is quite expensive and flights are limited. Therefore, most tourists travel to Phnom Penh by bus.
Average travel time HCM - PP is about 6 hours, with fares ranging from $ 9 to $ 11 depending on the type of bus. For this route, the staff will support travelers to complete border procedures through Moc Bai border gate. There is a charge of $35 for the Visa to enter Cambodia.
Here are some prestigious companies located in the center of District 1 where you can go to buy tickets directly:
- Sorya (sitting bus): 301 Pham Ngu Lao St., Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, HCMC. Schedule: 6:45 AM, 9:00 AM, 10:00 AM, 11:30 AM, 14:30 PM.
- TheSinhTourist (Sinh café) (sitting bus): 246 – 248 De Tham St., Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, HCMC. Schedule: 6:30 AM, 8:30 AM, 10:00 AM, 11:30 AM, 15:30 PM.
- Kumho Samco (sleeping bus): 239 Pham Ngu Lao St., Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, HCMC. Schedule: 7:00 AM, 8:00 AM, 9:30 AM, 10:30 AM, 12:00 PM, 13:30 PM, 15:00 PM.
- Sapaco (sitting bus): 235 Pham Ngu Lao St., Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, HCMC. Schedule: 6:30 AM, 7:30 AM, 9:00 AM, 10:00 AM, 11:00 AM, 12:30 PM, 14:00 PM.
- Danh Danh (sitting bus): 275C Pham Ngu Lao St., Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, HCMC. Schedule: 6:30 AM, 10:30 AM, 13:30 PM, 15:30 PM.
- Phương Heng (sitting bus): 291 Pham Ngu Lao St., Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, HCMC. Schedule: 6:30 AM, 8:30 AM, 13:00 PM, 16:00 PM.
Also, if you want to take the night bus to save time, you can contact Vica Thai (Cambodian Angkor Express) located at 36 Do Quang Dau St., Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, HCMC. This is the only bus departing at 23:45 PM near the 23/9 park costing about $ 12. However, when the bus reaches Moc Bai by around 3:00 AM, passengers are required to stay on the bus until 6:00 AM for the gates to open. On top of that, the quality of the buses are not as good as some other agencies, so this most likely will not be my first choice.
2. HCMC – Mekong Delta – Phnom Penh
If you intend to visit the Mekong Delta and then go straight to Cambodia without returning to HCMC, a one-way ticket is also available.
At present, people can go to PP with the route of Bac Lieu - Soc Trang - Can Tho - Phnom Penh and vice versa through Tinh Bien (An Giang) and Moc Bai (Tay Ninh) border gates.
- In Can Tho City: 107 Tran Hung Dao St./12 Nguyen Trai St., Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho City. Depart 5:00 AM. Ticket price is about $ 16.
- In Soc Trang City: Tan Van Thuan 2, located at Soc Trang bus station (Le Duan St., Ward 3, Soc Trang City, Soc Trang). Depart 23:00 PM, estimated travel time is about 8 hours. Ticket price is about $ 15.
- In Bac Lieu City: Bac Lieu bus station 157/4 Highway 1A, Hamlet 2, Ward 7, Bac Lieu City, Bac Lieu. Depart 3:00 AM. Ticket price is about $ 17.
- At Ha Tien Town: Xa Xia border gate. There are many buses that go to PP and you can handle the immigration procedures yourself. The bus will pick you up on the Cambodian side. Departure times are morning or noon. Ticket prices are about $ 13.
Besides, from Can Tho City or Chau Doc City, travelers can take the speedboat to PP. These are some shipping lines running the Can Tho / Chau Doc - Phnom Penh route and vice versa:
- In Can Tho City: wharf of Ninh Kieu Hotel, 02 Hai Ba Trung St., Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho City. Depart 6:30 AM daily, estimated travel time is around 8 hours. Ticket prices are about $ 35.
- In Chau Doc City: Hang Chau Express at Con Tien floating restaurant, Tran Hung Dao St., Chau Doc City, An Giang. Departs at 7:30 AM, estimated travel time is around 5 hours. Ticket price is $ 25. You can find more information here: http://hangchautourist.vn/?p=34&lang=en
3. HCMC – Siem Reap (SR)/Sihanoukville (SHV)
For those who want to go straight from HCMC to SR or SHV, you can buy tickets directly from the following companies:
- Sorya (sitting bus): 301 Pham Ngu Lao St., Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, HCMC. Schedule: 6:45 AM. Ticket price is about $ 18 each.
- Phương Heng (sitting bus): 291 Pham Ngu Lao St., Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, HCMC. Schedule: 6:30 AM, 8:30 AM, 13:00 PM (only to SR). Ticket price is about $ 19.
- Mekong Express (sitting bus): 275F Pham Ngu Lao St., Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, HCMC. Schedule: 7:00 AM. Ticket price is about $ 26.
- Vica Thai (sleeping bus): 36 Do Quang Dau St., Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, HCMC. This is the only sleeping bus departing at 23:45 PM near the 23/9 park, the price is about $ 18 (to SR) and $ 20 (to SHV).
Average travel time HCM - SR is about 12 hours, HCM - SHV about 14 hours. Vica Thai departing at night will take longer because when moving to Moc Bai, you have to stay in the car for about 3 hours waiting for the gate to open on the Cambodian side.
Note: Some buses may stop at PP for about 30 minutes to one hour, depending on the season of travel and the number of guests, so you have to confirm with the bus company if there is a wait time.
4. HCMC – PP – SR/SHV/Poipet/Kampot/Bangkok/Paske/Vientiane
If you don't want to go from HCMC to SR or SHV directly, there is an option to stay in PP for one night. You can book tickets from PP to SR/SHV of Sorya in HCMC. However, I recommend that you book tickets of the local prestigious buses in Cambodia after going to PP. The buses in Cambodia are quite old and the roads are unpaved making it a very bumpy ride.
Besides SR and SHV, from PP everyone can continue to take the bus to popular tourist destinations such as Kampot, Poipet, Bangkok (Thailand), Paske and Vientiane (Laos), ...
5. HCM – Ha Tien – SHV/PP/SR/ Kampot/Kep
Here, I will guide visitors on how to get from HCMC to Mekong Delta (Ha Tien Town, Kien Giang), then go to Kampot /Siha/PP/SR/Kep. This route is suitable for those who travel in the Mekong Delta and don't want to waste time coming back to HCMC. I also analyze the advantages and disadvantages of this route for everyone to choose easily.
- Save time the most, by going from HCMC to Ha Tien overnight, make procedures entry and exit at Xa Xia border gate early morning, then continue to move to other places in Cambodia.
- Suitable for those who have limited time, and save a little money with the hotel by staying a night on the bus.
- Must carry out procedures by yourself when crossing border gate.
- Difficult to find a good bus from the border and on top of that the bus makes frequent stops to pick up additional passengers.
- The roads in Cambodia are in bad shape making it a rough ride.
The specific steps are as follows:
- HCMC - Ha Tien: Travel time is about 8 hours. There are many buses from 6:30 AM to 23:00 PM daily. There is a bus leaving every hour on the hour. Ticket prices are about $8. In the center of HCMC, you can contact the following companies to buy tickets:
+ Kumho (sleeping bus/ sitting bus): 326 Le Hong Phong St., Ward 1, District 10, HCMC.
+ Phuong Trang (Futa) (sleeping bus): 231 Le Hong Phong St., Ward 4, District 5, HCMC.
You can take the bus at 22:00 PM to be in Ha Tien Town in the early morning. From Ha Tien bus station, there are transfer vehicles to Xa Xia border gate. You wait at the gate until 6:00 AM and then carry out the exit procedures.
- Ha Tien – Kampot/SHV/PP/Poipet/Kep/SR: At Ha Tien border gate, there are many buses that go to other provinces of Cambodia. Companies such as Anny Tours, Ha Tien Mekong Travel, Viet Cam Thai Travel, Cam - Ha Tien Travel, Champa Tourist Bus ...Out of all of those, Anny Tours is probably the one I would recommend. The buses depart mainly in the morning and noon with the specific schedule as follows:
+ Ha Tien – Kep: Travel time is about 30 minutes, the fares from $ 7 to $ 9.
+ Ha Tien – Kampot: an hour, $ 10.
+ Ha Tien – SHV: 3 hours, $ 10 to $ 13.
+ Ha Tien – PP: 4 hours, $ 11 to $ 14.
+ Ha Tien – SR: 12 hours, $ 22 to $ 26.
In my opinion, if you go from Xa Xia border gate, you should take the bus to Kampot to visit the mysterious Bokor Plateau and Sihanoukville beach, which is filled with a vibrant nightlife. Especially, in SHV, you can take a boat to visit Kohrong Island which is known as one of the most beautiful islands in Southeast Asia.
The buses from Xa Xia border gate to Cambodia stops frequently to pick up additional passengers on the way, resulting in lost time and inability to explore along the way. If you want to be more active, you can rent a car if you go with a group. A 16-seat van from the gate to SHV is about $100. On the way, you can visit the Bokor plateau, then move to SHV without waiting for anyone. The van is a bit on the older side, but the ride isn’t too bad. You can contact Mr. Chung (0942117821) with any questions, but English is not his first language so communication could be a problem.
If you have any questions about how to travel from Ho Chi Minh City to Cambodia, you can contact me directly. I really hope this information will be useful to everyone. I wish you a lot of wonderful experiences when visiting my country.